Sunday, September 16, 2007

Chocolate Chip Cookies at Their Best Recipe


This recipe comes from a Sunset Cookie Cookbook. These large and chock full of chocolate and nut’s (I don’t like nuts in my bake goods) so no nuts for me. Bake them one way if you like your cookies soft and chewy another way if you prefer them crisp.
1 cup (1/2 lb.) butter or margarine, softened (I have only used butter)
½ cup solid vegetable shortening
1 1/3 cups granulated sugar
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
4 eggs
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 teaspoon lemon juice
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
11/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional) (I have always added it)
½ cup rolled oats
2 large packages (12 oz. each) semisweet chocolate chips
2 cups Chopped walnuts (have never added these)
In a large bowl of an electric mixer. Beat butter, shortening, sugar and brown sugar on high until very light and fluffy (about 5 minutes) add eggs, one at a time beating well after each addition. Beat vanilla and lemon juice, In another bowl stir together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon (if used) and oats, gradually add to butter mixture, blending thoroughly, stir in chocolate chips and walnuts
Use a scant ¼ cup of dough for each cookie (I use the I think they call them ice cream scoops like in the picture above.I've made them with all three sizes that I have, My girls prefer the minis) Drop dough into lightly greased baking sheet, space cookies about 3 inches apart, for soft cookies bake in a 325Degree oven for 17 to 19 minutes or until golden brown; for crisp cookies bake in a 350 degree oven for 16 to 18 minutes or until golden brown, transfer to racks and let cook. Store airtight. Makes about 3 dozen cookies
Let me know if you try them and what you think of them.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, they sound yummy :)

Anonymous said...

Well written article.